[University of Virginia] Lecturer in Korean
The Department of East Asian Languages, Literatures and Cultures at the University of Virginia invites applications for the position of Lecturer in Korean with an anticipated start date of August 25, 2023. This is a full-time, non-tenure track position with the possibility of continuing employment after an initial three-year appointment.
We are particularly interested in candidates who can teach courses in all levels of Korean language. Responsibilities include (but are not limited to) teaching three courses per semester, contributing to the development of the Korean program on Grounds and abroad, and active involvement in departmental service and student life.
- A completed Master’s degree in Korean linguistics, Korean pedagogy, applied linguistics, second/foreign language acquisition or a related field at the time of the appointment is required.
- Native or near-native fluency in Korean and English is required.
- At least one year of teaching experience at the university level preferred.
- Knowledge of current trends in language teaching methodologies and familiarity with effective uses of technologies in language instruction are highly desirable.
- Preference will be given to applicants with significant teaching experience in all levels of Korean language at the university level in the United States.
This position will remain open till filled and review of applications will begin on February 3, 2023. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
Please apply through Workday, and search for R0043109. Complete an application online with the following documents:
- Cover letter that includes
- a brief statement of your credentials,
- relevant past experience,
- reason for applying;
- demonstrated past experience working on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and/or working with diverse populations.
- Current CV with contact information for three professional references
- Statement of teaching philosophy and link to unedited video of classroom language teaching;
- A sample syllabi for at least two different levels of language instruction
- A dossier of previous teaching evaluations
Upload all materials into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Alternatively, merge all documents into one PDF for submission. Applications that do not contain all required documents will not receive full consideration. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile by searching 'Find Jobs'.
For additional information about the position, please contact Yoon Hwa Choi at email@example.com.
For questions about the application process, please contact Melanie Sponaugle, Academic Recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UVA assists faculty spouses and partners seeking employment in the Charlottesville area. To learn more please visit https://dualcareer.virginia.edu/ For more information about UVA and the Charlottesville community please see http://www.virginia.edu/life/charlottesville and https://embarkcva.com/.
For more information on the benefits available to faculty at UVA, visit https://provost.virginia.edu/subsite/faculty-development and hr.virginia.edu/benefits.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.