[Mt. San Antonio College] Professor of Japanese and Korean
Posting Number: 054
Department: World Languages
Employee Classification: Faculty
Term (months/year): 10 months/year
Salary: Initial placement, $69,827 - $104,209 annually
Open Date: 12/11/2020
Initial Screening Date: 01/21/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The World Languages Department values diversity in all aspects of the human condition. We pursue equity by reevaluating how we empower each person to achieve their success.
The World Languages Department includes 10 full-time and over 40 part-time faculty. The faculty is a fully inclusive population of people from a variety of genders, educations, ethnicities, religions, and sexual orientations.
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; however, those submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PST) on January 21, 2021, are assured consideration.
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online at http://hrjobs.mtsac.edu to be considered for this position:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application
2. A cover letter addressing how duties & responsibilities, required qualifications, and preferred qualifications are met
3. A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position
4. A minimum of three (3) current letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation or any of the required documents)
5. College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
6. Equivalency Determination Supplemental Form: Candidates not holding the stated required qualifications who are requesting consideration based on an equivalency, will be asked to answer some supplemental questions to be considered
Health & Welfare:
The College contributes $12,159 toward annual premiums for medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage. Lifetime retirement benefits provided for eligible retirees.
The District participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS), State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs, and National Benefit Services (NBS).
*Subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Teach assigned courses in accordance with course outline of record, including Elementary Japanese, Continuing Elementary Japanese, Intermediate Japanese, Continuing Intermediate Japanese, Advanced Japanese, Conversational Japanese, Japanese Culture through Anime and Manga, Elementary Korean and Continuing Elementary Korean.
2. Participate in curriculum development, program advisory board, learning outcome development and assessments, and grants relevant to program
3. Collaborate effectively with other faculty, staff, and administrators to plan, develop, and execute related programs
4. Instruct and assist in the growth and success of a diverse population of students through the careful preparation of course materials, the adoption of effective teaching methods, the development of online courses, and the use of informed critical feedback on assignments and discussions
5. Instruct and support students with diverse backgrounds utilizing culturally relevant pedagogy, careful preparation of course materials, effective teaching methods including for online instruction, informed critical feedback on assignments and discussions, student learning outcomes, and support a philosophy of instruction focusing on critical thinking and analysis.
6. Maintain scheduled office and campus hours, and participate in department/division meetings and committees
7. Participate in accreditation, program review, and processes for institutional planning
8. Perform related duties as assigned, including timely compliance with administrative responsibilities and College, division, and department policies
9. Attend, participate, and present professional development, meetings, and various College committees and advisory groups to provide service to the college and participate in shared governance
10. Late afternoon and/or evening assignments may be required as part of the regular contract.
A. The minimum of one of the following awarded/conferred from a regionally accredited institution:
1. Master’s Degree in the languages being taught; OR
2. Bachelor’s Degree in the languages being taught AND Master’s in another language or linguistics; OR
3. California Community College credential, “Valid for Life” (no longer issued), authorizing service as an instructor in the appropriate discipline; refer to Ed Code § 87355 (If meeting qualifications with this credential, a copy of the valid lifetime credential must be submitted with the application.); OR
4. The equivalent (please attach an Equivalency Determination Supplemental Form) AND
B. Commitment to the community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for students with diverse abilities and interests; personal qualities to work effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment; awareness and commitment to the special needs of non-traditional students.
License(s) & Other Requirements:
The incumbent may periodically be required to travel to a variety of locations. If operating a vehicle, employees must have the ability to secure and maintain a valid California driver’s license.
Candidates not holding the stated required qualifications who are requesting consideration based on an equivalency, will be asked to answer some supplemental questions to be considered
Conditions of Employment:
This is a full-time, tenure-track, 10-month contract position that begins in the 2020-21 academic year. Placement on the salary schedule is based on formal education, full-time and/or part-time teaching, and related work experience, up to a maximum placement at step 9.
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate.
Notice to all prospective employees – The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: https://www.mtsac.edu/safety/pdf/asr_2018.pdf
The person holding this position is considered a ‘Responsible Employee’ under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the College’s Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to them about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
Please note: A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
DO NOT include photographs or any personal information (e.g. D.O.B, place of birth, etc.) on your application or supporting documents.
TRAVEL POLICY: Costs associated with travel in excess of 150 miles one way from residence for the purpose of an interview will be covered by the College. Expectations will be that the candidate finds the most cost effective travel in regards to air, bus, train, car and hotel. Relocation costs will be borne by the successful candidate. Travel reimbursement claims must be submitted no later than 30 days following the interview date and it may take up to 30 days for reimbursement
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.
Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: email@example.com.
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Interviews may include a writing sample, presentation, teaching demonstration, or performance test. The committee will recommend finalists to the President/CEO and/or Vice President of Instruction for a second interview. The number of vacancies is dependent on student enrollment, College resources, needs, and Board of Trustees’ approval. The starting date will be determined following Board approval and receipt of live scan clearance.
Confidential Letters of Reference Instructions:
Letters of Recommendation
The required letters of recommendation are not required to be confidential but if your reference prefers to send a confidential letter, please follow these instructions and notify your reference directly. To obtain a confidential letter of recommendation, you must enter the reference’s name and email address in the fields provided under the “Confidential References” section of the application.
NOTICE: In order for your reference to receive an email with a link to attach a confidential reference letter, you must complete your application and reach the status of “Under Review by HR”. It is recommended that you complete your application and reach this status well in advance of the deadline to provide your reference ample time to attach the letter.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to assure that all required and any optional documents are attached by no later than 11:59 PM PST of the initial screening date shown on the job posting.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be guaranteed consideration, it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received before the initial screening date and time indicated on the job posting. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All application materials will become College property, will not be returned, and will not be copied. Please visit our employment website at https://hrjobs.mtsac.edu to complete and submit your application for this position.
It is the policy of Mt. San Antonio College that harassment is prohibited and that all persons shall receive equal employment and educational opportunities without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, age (over 40), medical condition (cancer), mental disability, physical disability (including HIV & AIDS), marital status, sexual orientation, or Veteran Status. This nondiscrimination policy covers Family and Medical Care Leave and Pregnancy Disability Leave. Contact the Office of Human Resources if you need any special accommodations to complete the application process at 909.274.4225.
Mt. San Antonio College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Conflict of Interest:
Mt. San Antonio College employees and the Board of Trustees members shall not engage in any employment or activity that is inconsistent with, incompatible with, or in conflict with Mt. San Antonio College’s Administrative Procedures (AP 2710 Conflict of Interest, AP 2712 Conflict of Interest Codes).
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2106898
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.