[George Mason Univ. Korea] Term Assistant Professor, Korean Studies
George Mason University Korea invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Korean Studies position beginning August 2022.
About the Position
This is a full-time, non-tenure track position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities, in addition to teaching, include developing new courses and curriculum, engaging students in experiential learning, and holding regularly scheduled office hours. We are looking for someone to teach upper-division core courses taught in Korean and electives taught in English designed for students pursuing Korean studies as well as students interested in learning more about Korean culture.
- A Ph.D. in Culture and Media Studies (문화콘텐츠학), Culture Content Management (문화콘텐츠 경영학), Korean Studies (한국학), or a related field
- Demonstrated successful college experience teaching in Korean studies or Korean culture content
- Near-native fluency in English to teach upper-division electives within the curriculum
- Near-native fluency in Korean to teach upper-division core courses within the curriculum
- Experience in teaching Korean language at the university level
- Experience in designing and teaching across diverse course modalities
- The ability to teach both independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- The ability to develop and engage students in extracurricular activities
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Review application procedure:
- Submit application and required documents
- Teaching demonstration and interview (required of finalists)
- Notification of the final successful candidate
- After the initial review of applications, only successful candidates will be notified of the lecture demonstration and interview date (individually)
- Applicants must apply for a position at
- Complete and submit the online application and upload a cover letter, resume (CV), sample syllabi, and student teaching evaluations
Other Posting Information:
- Cover letter addressing the candidate’s qualifications for the position, including a statement of teaching philosophy and a commitment to serving a diverse student population
- Resume (CV) with the names and contact information of three professional references
- Two sample syllabi in English
- Student teaching evaluations
Applications received on or before April 11th, 2022 will be guaranteed full consideration.
About George Mason Korea
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. It is among the 115 or so top “R1” ranked research universities in the US and in the top 200 of the Shanghai World Ranking of Universities. A public university located in Fairfax Virginia, George Mason is the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs.
George Mason, Korea, is George Mason’s campus in Songdo, South Korea. Mason Korea was established as part of George Mason University’s commitment to education on a global scale and its belief in the power of international perspective and connection. Mason Korea is located on the Incheon Global Campus (IGC), which it shares with three other international branch campuses. Mason Korea students, staff, and faculty have access to modern facilities and resources on the IGC for a terrific living and work environment. Songdo, South Korea is a modern “smart” city designed from the start with large parks, plentiful walking and bike paths, and excellent public transportation. Songdo is convenient to Korea’s Incheon International Airport—around a half hour by car—as well as to the capital city of Seoul—around an hour by car.
Further information on Mason Korea can be found at: http://masonkorea.gmu.edu/.